Friday, June 13, 2008

Lessons Learned

Now before I start let me preface this with I haven't been running long...I'm sure both of the people reading this know that but I wanted to get that out of the way. If my running was a baby it would still be breast feeding, if it was a puppy it would still pee all over the carpet and if it was a car it would still have that new car smell but none the less I have learned a thing or two.

1. Running is mental especially when I think about running. I'm still at the point where if I think about running while running I will probably end up walking. If for some reason I can think about other stuff like the rain, gum drops or unicorns I seem to do much better.

2. That euphoric feeling knows as the "runners high" does exist and it's amazing.

3. Nipples chafe. I remember watching The Office and seeing poor Andy Bernard suffer from nipple chaffing while running in a 5k to rid the World of Rabies. At the time it was humorous however after 8 weeks I've realized nipple chaffing is real and I now wear pasties when I run. Who knew?

4. Much like Butters needed an acountabillabuddy at the de-gayifaction camp in South Park having others along for the ride makes the process a little easier. A good friend of mine in Springfield, Zach, is on the same training schedule as me and we constantly update each other regarding our progress. It's not a competition but it's positive support. In addition a couple of other friends from back in the day Kurt and Kyle have both already done marathons are giving me feedback and advice as well.

5. Humidity = bad.

6. Broken ankles never really heal right. The only recurring discomfort I have had up to this point is my right ankle that I broke in high school. It's stiff at first (that's what she said) but loosens up during the run. I'm doing more stretches to make it better early on during runs but I have a feeling it's going to be a battle.

7. If you pass a crawdad while running on the sidewalk they instinctively flip over on to their backs and flail about as if that will somehow protect them. Of all the natural reactions from creatures such as possums, crawdads to fainting goats this has to be one of the worst defense mechanisms ever.

8. No matter how small dogs are it's not pretty to see them out and about while running. I run with Ladybird because at this point I can't justify running and not getting her some exercise. The problem is when she sees another dog she pulls, growls or otherwise does whatever she can to break my rhythm. In the long run I see this as a benefit since it'll help me run faster when I need to or being able to get started again after I stop to pick up Lady so she doesn't nip other dogs.



I'm sure I've learned more but I'm drawing a blank.

5 mile run tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it. So if the good Lord's willing and the creek don't rise I'll be back tomorrow.

No comments: