Monday, November 24, 2008

Race Report

Now I'm not one to brag but I pretty much owned the Gobbler Grind yesterday...and by owned I mean ran it very slowly while occasionally walking the big hills.

Starting on Friday I drank as much water as I could handle and then drank a little more so I wouldn't cramp up and it paid off. Despite the extra sweat from layers I managed to not cramp up really horribly bad until I sat on the couch last night...which is much better than mile 7 last time.

The actual run itself was much better although I ran out of gas about 1/2 way through and then just found the last few miles. I would run until my legs felt dead and then would walk and repeat.

Going into the run my goal was to improve my time by any way shape or form and once I got to the 10 mile mark I knew that was going to happen so I readjusted and decided my goal would be to break 2:50 (babysteps I know). with about 1/4 a mile left I was sitting at 2:47 and some change and barely trudging along...I hit the 13 mile mark at 2:46:04 and could see the finish so I took off and just sprinted as hard as I could (2 legged rhino comes to mind)). As I got closer there was an older woman in front of me...I resisted the temptation of knocking her over to make up time and passed her on the outside to cross the finish line at 2:49:57. About 14 minutes faster than last time and I stopped twice to tinkle.

Overall it was a lot of fun...much more so than the KC marathon but that's probably because I did better time wise. There was some confusion with course markings but it was still a blast.

Keep on keepin' on.

No comments: